Monday, November 8th, 2010...11:21 pm

Glam Rock and Punk

Jump to Comments

The shifts in the music industry are related to various economic and social changes through the years. The punk music era has been related to the underprivileged, lower class. Yet I don’t believe that these are the only people who listened to the punk movement. Music has a way of relating to individuals and as an individual you are not introduced to just one genre of music. Personally, I listen to all forms of music, from rap to rock and sometimes, and I mean sometimes even a little country (mainly because of my mother’s love for it). Basically where I’m headed with this is that the type of music you listened to used to define the type of person you were in society. Now, the times have changed. We are no longer defined by the type of music we listen to.
     Musicians have began to incorporate different music genres into their work, creating a new wave of music on a single album. Musicians are constantly reinventing themselves and changing their image as the years progress.
     David Bowie as an example, was an artist’s whom didn’t even consider himself as much of a rock artist. Yet more as an actor, he has without a doubt had a outlasting effect on adolescents. He has created a new wave of style and attitude without really trying. He has a way of carrying himself with such confidence that others strive to be like him. From the way he dresses to his attitude on life, David Bowie has proven to be a force of individuality. He never tried to be anyone he wasn’t, he was true to himself and with that he started an entire movement.
     Although, people relate the punk era to destruction and rebellion as they did with the sex pistols. I feel as though you can relate that to just about any form of music. They all have their classic artists whom play it safe, yet every genre has a rebellious few who like to push the envelope and see how far they can go before truly offending people.
     These usually end up being some of the most memorable artists. Where’s the fun in always playing it safe anyway?

• Your note about how Bowie considered himself more of an actor than a rock artist is very interesting. His costumes are certainly reminiscent of something one would wear in a play about Halloween futurism or something else completely wild than to put on a rock show. There are performers now who imitate Bowie’s theatrical style. His individuality was inspirational. Usually, we see that those who are true to themselves and their individuality gain the biggest followings and fan bases.

• I love your statement, “Where’s the fun in playing it safe?” It’s a very true statement. David Bowie, who I grew up on, is a strong example of an artist looking outside the box. And that is exactly what he is, an ARTIST. He created a whole world around him, his music, and his acting-always being one step ahead of himself. With his single Space Oddity, Bowie used current media events (the moon landing) along with a psychedelic electronic sound that was coming about during this time. As Dick Hebdige states, in his article Subculture: The Meaning of Style, Bowie “attracted a mass youth (rather than a teeny-bopper) audience and set up a number of visual precedents in terms of personal appearance…” He didn’t just perform, he made a performance. While other bands before him; like with The Who’s, Tommy, I feel David Bowie explored the essence of a Rock Opera. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, went on to inspire bands such as Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody) and Pink Floyd (The Wall). You can even see Bowies influence in the current albums of My Chemical Romance.

I recommend, if you are a rock opera fan, take a look into Hedwig and the Angry Inch.

• Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon on a daily basis. It’s always helpful to read content from other writers and practice something from their sites.

• You need to be a part of a contest for one of the highest quality websites on the web. I will recommend this blog!